A bill to authorize the selection of lands for a state reservation in the village of Niagara Falls, was introduced in the Legislature in 1880, and passed the Assembly, but did not pass the Senate. In 1881 a similar bill was introduced in the Assembly by Hon. James Low, then representing the Second District of Niagara County; but owing to the well-known opposition of Governor Cornell to the project, the measure was abandoned. During the session of 1882, Governor Cornell being yet in office, no effort was made to secure the passage of the Niagara Reservation bill.In November, 1882, Grover Cleveland was elected Governor. Being a resident of the western part of the State, it was assumed that he was in favor of the preservation of the scenery of the Falls of Niagara. On Dec. 6, 1882, a meeting of gentlemen was held at the residence of Mr. Howard Potter in New York City, to consider measures for the advancement of the Niagara movement. Addresses were made by Messrs. Olmsted, Potter, Dorsheimer, Norton, Harrison and others. A committee, consisting of Messrs. J. Hampden Robb, Buchanan Winthrop, James T. Gardner, J. T. Van Rensselaer and Francis H. Weeks, was appointed to proceed in the matter and to report at a future meeting, which was held at Municipal Hall, No. 67 Madison Avenue, on the evening of Jan. 11, 1883. Mr. D. Willis James presided. The committee, previously appointed, reported in favor of the formation of an association, the object of which should be the preservation of the scenery of the Falls of Niagara, by legislative enactment. The organization was called "The Niagara Falls Association," and the following officers were elected: President, Howard Potter; vice-presidents, Daniel Huntington, Geo. William Curtis, Cornelius Vanderbilt: secretary, Robert Lenox Belknap; treasurer, Chas. Lanier: executive committee, J. Hampden Robb, Buchanan Winthrop, James T. Gardner, J. T. Van Rensselaer, Francis H. Weeks, Robt. W. DeForest; corresponding secretary, Rev. J. B. Harrison.